Thursday 28 November 2013

I Emptied My Fridge.

So, yesterday was one of those days when I cleaned the house like a mad woman all day and when it was time for dinner, I was exhausted as hell and the last thing I wanted to do was cook a meal. 
Another reason why I couldn't/did not want to make a meal was because all that was left in the fridge was a carrot, a couple of onions, a can of kidney beans, some finely chopped cabbage, a pomegranate and some pickled olives and me being me, I was too lazy to step down to the nearest store to get some veggies.

However, since I am also sweet and all that, I did not let the husband starve. So, what did I make? I whipped up an absolutely delicious I-Emptied-My-Fridge salad with whatever I had. Cool or what?! Ok, don't answer that. 

Anyhooo, here is the recipe for you to be as cool as me. 

You will need:

10 minutes of your time
Broken wheat/Dalia - 1 cup 
Carrot - 1 (cut into thin strips)
Onion - 1 (cut into thin strips)
Cabbage - 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
Kidney beans - a handful
Pomegranate seeds - a handful
Pickled olives - 6 (chopped)
Olive oil - 1 tsp
Juice of half a lemon
Salt, pepper - to taste

How to:


1. Pressure cook the broken wheat/dalia with 1-1 1/2 cups of water. Three whistles should do the trick. Keep aside.
2. In a small pan, heat a teaspoon of olive oil, add the onions and sau till it's soft and pink. Add the carrots and saute for a couple of minutes and then add the cabbage and kidney beans and sauté till everything is soft and the raw smell goes. You can skip sauing the veggies if you do not want to. I did it since I do not like my onions raw.
3. In a large bowl, take the broken wheat, add the saued veggies, olives, pomegranate seeds, salt and pepper and the lemon juice. 
4. Mix gently using a spatula till everything is combined well. Your wholesome, healthy, delicious salad is ready! 


This is best served at room temperature or cold.

The pomegranate gives the salad a nice crunch while the lemon juice adds a zing to the salad. 

It is absolutely filling as a main course and I think  it would also make a good side-dish for baked potatoes, maybe? 

Another good thing about this salad is you can use whatever you think would go well with it/have left in the fridge. Personally, I think some zucchini or cucumber would have made this much nicer. Sad that I did not have either of them. But I plan to try them next time. 

Also, i found this today! If only the pay wasn't so low. If only...

Till the next post, 
Much love
M

PS: Post making this for dinner last night, I did go out veggie shopping and my fridge is well stocked now. This may also be because my brother is coming to visit me tomorrow. For TWO WEEKS. WHOOT! :D

kbye now. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment