Sunday 13 January 2013

Id(e)licious.

Dealing with leftover food is an art in itself. Today, I'm going to tell you how to make use of one of the most common leftover foods at South Indian homes - Idlis.
Idli, when served hot with Sambar & Chutney is one of my favorite things for breakfast. But more often than not, amma ends up making way more than how much we require for breakfast. As good as it is, having idli all through the day is certainly not my favorite thing to do. 

There are quite a few ways of using leftover idlis and I will post one easy-peasy recipe every now and then, PROMISE. :D

Today's recipe is going to be 'Podi Idli'. I used mini idlis that paati sent over. These were one of my favorites when i used to go to school since everyone else used to get bigger idlis while I got to be the cool one who got mini idlis. ;)

Serves: 2 people
Ingredients:
  1. Leftover Idlis. Duh! 4-5 idlis or 20-30 mini idlis
  2. 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds
  3. A pinch of Turmeric power & a pinch of asafoetida
  4. 2-3 tbs Milagai Podi* (as spicy as you want the idlis to be)
  5. 1 1/2-2 tbs edible Coconut Oil


Method
  1. In a kadai, add the oil and once it is heated, add the turmeric powder, asafoetida and the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Ensure it doesn't get burnt. 
  2. Now add the idlis and sprinkle the milagai podi on top. 
  3. Gently toss the idlis without breaking them so that each piece is nicely covered by the milagai podi.
  4. Wait for 4-5 minutes till the idlis get crispy at the edges.
  5. Serve hot with coconut chutney or raita. 

The Final Product. Yum!
Do let me know how it turns out in case you try. :)

Till the next most,
M.

*Milagai podi is a powder made with red chillies and lentils. Recipe here

3 comments:

  1. This looks yum!We get these made for breakfast every once in a while...love the tangy flavor!
    ~shreya
    http://fashionbaubles.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried idli upma? I live for it, though I eat the molaga-podi by itself.
    My Beauty Junction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my favorite. :D And, I'm a BIG fan of molaga podi too. *hi5*

      Delete